We all have those “rushing out the door” mornings, which can leave us with very little time to eat, let alone make breakfast. Whether you slept through the alarm, took too long in the shower or got back from the gym late, sometimes making breakfast before starting your busy day can seem like an impossible task. Inconvenience or not, it is so important that you fuel your body so that you can perform at your best!
Below I have provided three “busy girl breakfast” options for all you girl bosses out there who are limited in time.
Spinach, Fetta and Mushroom Mini Muffins - Makes 12
2 large handfuls baby spinach leaves
½ tsp coconut oil
2 medium portobello mushrooms, chopped
4 spring onions, chopped
4 large eggs
¼ cup milk of choice
2 tbsp feta cheese, crumbled
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (360°F) and spray a mini muffin pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Place the spinach in a bowl of warm water and allow to sit for 1 minute or until wilted.
3. Heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add the coconut oil. Once melted, add the mushrooms and cook until soft. Transfer the mushrooms to a heat-proof bowl and add the wilted spinach and chopped spring onions and mix until well combined.
4. Whisk the eggs, milk, feta cheese, salt, and pepper together in a medium bowl.
5. Divide the spinach, onion, and mushroom mixture evenly among the muffin holes and spoon over the egg mixture using a ladle. Make sure that each muffin hole is no more than ¾ of the way full.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes until eggs have set and edges begin to turn golden brown.
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from tins. I recommend making these on a Sunday and then keeping them in the fridge. Simply grab two cups on your way out the door!
½ cup granola
1 cup greek yoghurt
½ cup assorted fresh fruit, sliced
1. Place half of the granola in the bottom of a jar.
2. Top the granola with half of the yoghurt and half of the assorted fruit.
3. Repeat the layers again, finishing with the assorted fruit on top.
4. Seal with a lid and take to go!
Green Goodness Toastie
1. Evenly spread the pesto spread on the two slices of rye bread.
2. On one slice of bread, layer the sliced avocado and baby spinach. Sprinkle over the goat’s cheese and top with the other slice of bread.
3. Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat and add the coconut oil. Once melted, add the sandwich and allow to cook until the bread is golden brown. Press down on the sandwich lightly before flipping over.
4. Cook the second side of the sandwich until golden brown and remove from the heat.
5. Wrap the toastie up in some alfoil and enjoy on the run!
No matter how busy you are, it is so important that you kick start your day with a healthy, nourishing breakfast. . “Breakfast” does just that - it breaks the overnight fasting period, replenishes your supply of glucose and provides your body with essential nutrients and energy to help you get through the day.
Stay clear! XO