Craving a big bowl of hearty pasta but don’t want to ruin your 2016 goal of choosing the healthy eating option? Well guess what?! I have a delicious alternative to satisfy those cravings... Zucchini spaghetti! Not only will my recipe save you from those post pasta stomach pains, but it will also benefit your skin!
Benefits for skin:
Anti-ageing Properties - Zucchinis are full of Vitamin A and C which can be helpful in fighting off harmful radicals that cause fine lines and wrinkles.
Hydrates Your Skin - Zucchinis have a high water content which can also help to keep your skin glowing and hydrated!
Has Healing Properties - Zucchinis are rich in manganese, which is essential for the production of choline - the amino acid which helps to form collagen. Collagen is essential for healthy skin and healing of wounds.
ZUCCHINI PESTO PASTA
Prep time: 15 minutes
4 small zucchini, ends trimmed
2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
2 cloves garlic
⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Half a punnet of cherry tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Use a spiralizer to turn the zucchini into noodles/pasta. If you don’t have one of these cut the Zucchini into thin, pasta like slices. Set aside.
2. To make the pesto, combine the basil and garlic in a food processor and blend until coarsely chopped. Slowly add the olive oil while the food processor is on. Scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula every now and then to make sure everything is mixed properly.
3. Add the lemon juice and parmesan cheese. Pulse until blended. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Combine the zucchini noodles and pesto. Toss until zucchini noodles are well coated. If you want to cook the zucchini pasta, saute them in a little olive oil over a medium heat for a few minutes.
5. Top with cherry tomatoes and serve at room temperature or chilled.
Enjoy and feel good for choosing the healthy option :)Stay clear! XO